Some items to start off your September:
- Travis County District Court Judge John Dietz has ruled that Texas’ school finance system is unconstitutional. Judge Dietz’s opinion states that the system is unconstitutional because of inadequate funding, flaws in the distribution method to school districts, and because it imposes a de facto state property tax.
- Gov. Perry has appointed Dr. Michael Arambula of San Antonio chair of the Texas Medical Board. Dr. Arambula is a psychiatrist in private practice and an associate professor at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. Dr. John Guerra of Mission has also been appointed to the Board. Dr. Guerra is an OB/GYN in private practice in McAllen. The Texas Medical Board is responsible for establishing and maintaining standards of excellence in regulating the practice of medicine.
- For a list of the 10 laws that went into effect September 1, 2014, visit the Legislative Reference Library here.
And now that college football is in full swing again, here are some tailgate tidbits:
- Where does your team fall on the “Grid of Shame?” See how 128 major teams rank.
- This weekend, grab a 99-pack of Austin Beer Works’ Peacemaker Ale to share with your tailgating buddies. What a steal–99 beers for $99, but you’ll need some help carrying it out. The 99-pack is over 7 feet long and weighs 82 pounds!
- One loyal Longhorn fan built a replica of the University of Texas’ Darrell K. Royal Stadium out of Legos. Click here to see it in all its glory.
Only in Austin…
Is the drought getting you down? Unfortunately, it has gotten the best of this beauty outside of the East entrance of the Capitol.